WolfieToons by Dave Wolfe

WolfieToons by Dave Wolfe

Saturday, December 26, 2015

WolfieWork

I enjoy peeks "behind the scenes" and peeks at behinds, so here is a little of both:  the evolution of one of my WolfieToons!  


First, there's a finished, fairly "tight" pencil drawing.  A heavier paper is a good idea so that the ink will go on nice and smooth and not come to pieces under the eraser.  I used a 2-ply Bristol here. 




Now I went over it in ink, embellishing along the way:  I've experimented with a lot of pens and even brushes;  this was done with art pen that is a combination.  It has a flexible "nib" that creates thick and thin lines, depending on how you hold it.   The lines then give a pleasing illusion of depth and weight.  Drawing proper perspective is still elusive, but I'm impatient and had a deadline.  

Music in the background helps;  my "Pandora" stations include Beatles and Big Band swing.  







Then the pencil marks were erased and it was ready to scan.  Black ink boo-boos and unwanted bits can always be taken out with white paint, or, of course, with the computer.  I really prefer to have as little "touch-up" as possible.  




Finally comes the lettering and coloring, and behold!  A woman really enjoying herself.  You, too, I hope!




8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this process of your art work. You are on of my favorite artists. And the picture is great. I know exactly how she is feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blondie, you're very kind! I was thinking my audience might relate! :D

      Delete
  2. As an artist myself I love seeing how other artists create. I learn a great deal that way!
    Love your drawings- always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Minelle! I'll look forward to seeing more of your work, too!

      I've always loved seeing how others create, too! It is inspirational!

      I've been told that back in the day, Ham Fisher used to do his "Joe Palooka" comic strip pencil roughs and lettering guidelines on the back side of his Bristol board, then turned it over and used a light-box to ink and finish! He never had to erase!

      There are places on line to see original comic art-- not the same as looking at it "in person," but fun nevertheless!

      Delete

  3. I love seeing your process! Thank you!

    Makes me wonder about the thought process of a spanker, and how a spanking takes shape... beginning to end. Pun intended. ;-)

    Happy New Year, DW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Happy New Year to you, Larken Dear!

      Yes, there is careful planning in a spanking, and careful planting, of palms and other implements, and several layers of implementation!

      Delete
  4. Hi Dave,

    Great work! What software do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, and thank you!

      I've been using the ArcSoft PhotoStudio 6.

      Delete