WolfieToons by Dave Wolfe

WolfieToons by Dave Wolfe

Sunday, November 27, 2022

In Memoriam -- Phil "Overbarrel"

This is sad news, but there may be somebody peeking in who needs to know.

Phil J, who signed his hilarious and highly detailed "Poser" cartoons "Overbarrel," died this weekend after a ferocious three to four year fight with ALS.  

  His abilities to create, to partake in life as he did so richly, and eventually even to communicate, were stripped away bit by bit by what he called "this goddamned disease."  Nevertheless, he didn't spend a lot of what energy he had in fecklessly railing against it all, like I might have done, and I think his profound, nigh-unquenchable sense of humor was a saving grace. His loving wife and family were with him, and hospice care.

 Phil was a remarkable husband, father, grandfather, and a stalwart friend.  He was one who helped me out of a very dark time, and when the Internet was new, he was also one who made me understand that my particular and perhaps peculiar sexual interests were nevertheless not as deviant as I used to think.  Phil himself was as decent, intelligent, and caring a man as ever walked the planet.  We shared, across the distance via that wonderful tool, the Web, all the joys and sorrows of each other's family life, and hundreds of photos. 

 We also shared many a grin over twenty-plus years of goofy "Overbarrel" and "WolfieToon" creations.  Phil first learned the "Poser" program via a copy in German-- he didn't speak or read German-- and never stopped developing and getting better at it.  He had a natural movie director's eye, although he had never studied filmmaking, and many of his Poser Epics were cinematically brilliant.  Sometimes his 'toons were "copy heavy," and I occasionally made suggestions about word balloon placement, and even recommended putting the words below the pictures, à la "Prince Valiant," but he never went for it.

 Phil was the most guileless and honest man I've met.  I worried about that for him in the World Of Weird Web People, but he never came to or caused any harm.  And, yeah, once in a while his ribald sense of humor got the better of him, and fantasies went off in directions I wouldn't trod, but Fantasy is one thing, Reality another, and he never, ever confused the two. 

He was an exceptional raconteur, and told many stories of his childhood, military, and wedded life that I hope the family will collect and publish for a few of us.

I'm very grateful to have known Phil, and life will be a lot emptier without him.


Items from my "Phil Philes"...


A panel from one of the many Springrose Birthday Tales:


"Then and Now"


One of Phil's first "Poser" characters, "The HOLY SHIT SMILEY!"





28 comments:

  1. So very sorry for your loss. Good longterm friendships are a treasure. I especially liked his Santa’s lap toon you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Honeygirl. Phil was a character and a man of many talents and a fine friend. He did a lot of "Santa Workshop" cartoons that would be good to share this season!

      Delete
  2. so sad. I knew from other bloggers they were in poor health. I didn't know it was ALS. My grandmother passed away from that and I would not wish that on anyone.

    Their comics were loved by all spankos. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind, I appreciate it. ALS, Alzheimer's, paralyzing stroke, various forms of dementia are all damnable diseases that have robbed loved ones of life they should have had. It's important to love and care for each other.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful tribute Dave.
    I communicated with Phil many times and enjoyed his banter and loved his artwork.
    So sad for a great person to be taken so cruelly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Glen', thank you for saying so. Phil's wit is legendary, on of the things I miss most about the man.

      Delete
  4. I'm beyond sorry to lose Phil, your friend and such a. meaningful man to those of us who appreciated him. I told him often I loved his work and thoughtfulness. We were lucky to have had him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were indeed, B.D. we were indeed. Thank you for having let him know his work was appreciated, he really poured so much into it. It's especially fine that you let him know he was a mensch; we will have to try to follow his example!

      Delete
  5. Dave:
    This was the news I have been dreading to hear. I was going to ask you once more how he was, and now we sadly know. I remember him saying years ago that he could no longer continue with his art and it was a dark day for many of us who loved his efforts so much. In a way I am glad but only because his suffering is over. ALS is a terrible disease and I am surprised he lasted so long, but would it have not been wonderful if he could have delighted us for another ten or twenty years? To his family, I offer sincere condolences and an honest tribute that he will be missed. RIP Phil and thanks for letting us know Wolfie.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Wolfie Rick! We've known it was coming for a long time, inexorably stealing everything from him, and from us. Phil did kvetch, "Golden years, my ass!" a lot, but he also kept sharing funny thoughts and stories that make life wonderful.
      Springrose told me, "I don't want to lose him. I don't. But I don't want to see him trapped like that, either." A very mixed thing indeed, but, yes, I am relieved for the end of his torture. He did leave us a fine legacy of love, and laughing at the absurdities of life.

      Delete
  6. Sad news indeed. Thank you for such a nice tribute.

    Prefectdt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly, Prefectdt, it was my honor. Thank you for your answer!

      Delete
  7. Sorry for your loss bud, his families, along with you, have my condolenses. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sad news, but not altogether unexpected.

    I didn't know Phil in person, but we had a lot of fun conversations in the Chicago Spanking Review forum, when he would comment on my art and I would comment on his.

    I'll miss him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Boom! I tried to alert you more personally, but had lost your email address! Who knew that such fine people and wonderful work would derive from investigating an odd little new Internet thing called "Arild's Yahoo Movie Spanking" Yahoo group! Thank you for all the fun, and for your reply here.

      Delete
  9. Wolfie -
    I’ve been away from the blogging community for most of this year and it was sad to come back to this news. Thank you so much for letting us all know. This is a great tribute.

    I didn’t know you and Phil were good friends. I can see it though. I am so sorry for your loss. And for our collective loss. We seem to have lost a lot of bloggers recently.

    Some time back I communicated with Phil to share his images on my blog and he was very enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately, that was right before the time I stepped away from blogging, but now I think I should.

    Best,
    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a terrific thing to do, Enzo! Phil always put a lot into his 'toons, from the story, to bringing the characters to life, to the backgrounds, lighting, overall composition, and even, for a while, hiding little bits of additional humor in the picture, like the roving Overbarrel logo, for example. He got enormous satisfaction out of viewers' appreciation, of course, and was especially tickled when they'd catch his little extras. Thank you for your kindness and the response!

      Delete
  10. I'm sorry for your loss. I didn't know Phil so thank you for posting some of his work. Love the Santa one! ALS is such a cruel disease.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Hermione, thank you! There was so much to Phil; he was a musician, soldier, scholar, family man, humorist, hunter, raconteur, and superb "Poser" cartoonist! One of his annual favorites was Santa's Workshop, with the assisting Hiney Sisters and the Very Interested Teddy Bear! I'll have to post a few of those later!

      Delete
  11. This is really sad. I'm so sorry for your loss Wolfie losing two dear friends in the same year has to be really hard. I'm thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs.

    I hope you're ok

    lmn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear little pixie! The hugs are much appreciated! I'll always miss Phil, and Devlin. I hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  12. Its a great loss for all of us, and I am so sorry that he had to suffer from that "goddamned disease".
    I had done a story inspired by his pictures, I am hoping that he was able to enjoy it.
    https://oandpspankingstories.blogspot.com/2021/02/forest-hill-part-1.html
    I have tried to create a few gifs with his images. I havent as yet posted them because they aren't exactly at the level of his talent.
    I will try to improve them, and next week I'll post a tribute for Phil.
    And we also lost Devlin, who taught me a few things about story writing.
    I am so sad.
    Hugggggggssss you
    B :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fine tribute, gentle Brigitte, thank you! I don't know for sure if Phil saw your story or not, but he certainly enjoyed others' creative efforts as much as he enjoyed the pleasure people got from his art!
      His funeral was last week, and though I could only attend it via the streaming video, it was a wonderful service for his family and friends.
      Thank you for your kind heart, creativity, and vicarious hugs!

      Delete
    2. Done with a link for you.
      https://oandpspankingstories.blogspot.com/
      Hugs

      Delete
    3. Phil would have been very tickled with this, Brigitte, good job! I'll included a link over to it when I post Phil's Santa spanking cartoons later!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful words in memoriam of a good man and artist. My condolences...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, B.R. He was indeed, and I appreciate your kindness!

      Delete